Once you have bought your home, Angelo can help make this move easier for you. Follow this handy checklist:
Book the movers:
• You can choose to have your movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It is a good idea to obtain several different companies to see what costs and services serve you best.
If you own your present home:
• Arrange to have your gas and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bill forwarded to your new address.
• Have the oil tank read and read before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional if required.
• If your water heater and/or furnace are rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
• Disconnect your telephone, cable/satellite TV and water softener.
If you rent your present home:
• Give the necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any money you have on deposit.
At your “New” home:
• Make arrangements for the gas and utilities, water softener, telephone and cable/satellite TV to be connected on the day the sale closes (or possession day).
• Get “change of address” cads from the post office and send them out well before moving day.
• Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
• Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
• Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick up, newspapers, magazines and other home services.
Arrange for services at your new address:
• Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
• Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
• Change the address on your driver’s license(s) effective the day of the move.
• Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage (e.g. dry cleaning)
• Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
• Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.